domingo, 2 de marzo de 2014

Children's Rights Taken Away in Egypt

While I was searching for articles about the Israel-Palestine conflict I saw the title of an article that caught my attention. The article was called: Children's rights ignored in Egypt crackdown. It caught my attention because I had no idea that children's rights were still being violated. I think this is an important issue that should be discussed because children are the future generations of the world and things like this shouldn't be happening any more.


Image Credits: Al Jazeera

After reading the article I learned a few things about Egypt's political situation. Basically the conflict started after Egypt's leader resigned and the country became divided in different groups and was taken over by the military. It appears that even children are participating in anti government protests and are being captured by the "authorities" and have to go through the Egyptian prision system.
I learned that children are held in adult jails and don't get to have representation or medical assistance. I was in shock when I read that children were being tortured in the jails. This represents major human rights violations that are being done to minors. It is unfair and it makes me angry because children aren't able to protect themselves as the adults so they become easier to catch, and they are defenseless against adults in many ways. As the article says things like this destroy Egypts future, people have to realize and be aware of how children are more vulnerable and have to be protected. Not only it is against the law that children are being exposed to danger this way but also is a violation of their rights as humans.
Here is the link to the article, it has videos that help you to have a better view of how bad children's situation is in Egypt
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/02/children-rights-ignored-egypt-crackdown-2014215152226400760.html
I was shocked to find about this so I looked up for more information about this and I found this video that shows the story of a children that was caught unfairly by the authorities and was beaten so that he confessed. I think you should watch it it. 

It should be the governments job to ensure everyone's rights are being respected but they are doing the opposite. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario